(This is an Advance Practice Nurse course).
Go back to the course syllabus and review the course objectives. Reflect on your learning in this class in terms of each of those objectives. Do you believe that you accomplished all of the course goals? Are there any areas that you would like to learn more about? Make a few comments about how you foresee applying the content of this course to your future APN role. Comment on at least two of your classmates’ posts. (This is a Advance Practice Nurse course).
In this course, the learner cultivates an understanding of healthcare policy formation and evaluation, while examining the nursing role in public policy, finance, and politics. The organization and delivery of healthcare is explored, applying the most current knowledge available in the areas of health promotion and disease prevention. Guidelines, initiatives, mandates, and recommendations from a wide range of agencies and organizations provide a solid foundation from which nurses in advanced practice roles can plan, implement, and evaluate care designed to promote health and prevent disease. A minimum grade of B is required to pass this course.
Course Competencies: Upon successful completion of this course, the student should be able to:
- Examine the political process, its influence on nursing practice, and strategies to foster political action by advanced practice nurses.
- Critically analyze theories and processes that influence development and implementation of health policy for application in healthcare environments.
- Explore economic variables that impact health policy and health promotion at the local, state, federal, and international levels.
- Integrate information technology into health policies and health promotion applications for use across communities of interest.
- Synthesize knowledge related to health promotion and disease prevention to address health disparities among diverse and vulnerable populations.