The Unit 9 Assignment will be a paper that describes how nutrition needs change throughout the lifecycle and identifies ways to improve an individual’s nutritional intake during the different stages of the lifestyle.
- You will choose only one of the following options.
- Make sure to identify which option you have chosen in your paper.
- Suggest real foods and identify which nutrients the food contains that will improve the individual’s diet.
- Do not recommend supplements, such as multivitamins, or supplemental drinks as food recommendations.
- Make sure not to use the same nutrients more than twice in the paper
Matthew is a picky 5-year-old boy. He does not like to eat a lot of foods. Matthew’s mom is concerned about his eating habits. Identify three nutrients that may be a concern for Matthew that he needs to grow properly and discuss why they are important. Give an example of one food that Matthew could eat to get each nutrient.
Matthew is now a 17-year-old high school student. He is on the baseball team at school and attends practice twice a week. He also exercises to keep in shape. Matthew knows that you are taking a nutrition class at school. He is concerned about getting the right nutrients in his diet. Identify three nutrients that you would discuss with Matthew that are important for his growing body. Discuss why they are important and provide Matthew with one example of a food he could eat or limit in his diet for each nutrient that you discuss with him.
Matthew is now 85 years old. He does not have a good appetite and has trouble chewing his food. Matthew’s daughter is concerned about his nutritional intake. Identify three nutrients that you would discuss with Matthew’s daughter that are often lacking in older adults’ diets and explain why they are lacking. Provide Matthew’s daughter with one example of a food Matthew could eat for each nutrient that you discuss with her.
Julie is a 4-year-old girl with a big appetite. She loves to eat, but she likes starchy snack foods best. Julie’s mother is concerned about her eating habits. Identify three nutrients that may be a concern for Julie that she needs to grow properly, or nutrients that she may be over-consuming. Explain why you have selected these nutrients. Give an example of one food that Julie could either add or decrease in her diet to better balance her intake of each nutrient.
Julie is now 15 years old and a student in high school. She is very concerned about her weight and is always dieting. Identify three nutrients that Julie might be lacking in her diet. Why are they important? Identify three foods that Julie could eat to make sure she gets the nutrients she needs to grow properly and which nutrient each of these foods provides.
Julie is now 80 years old. She does not have a good appetite and does not feel hungry. Julie’s son is concerned about his mom’s nutritional intake. Identify three nutrients that you would discuss with Julie’s son that are often lacking in older adults’ diets and explain why they are lacking. Provide Julie’s son with one example of a food Julie could eat for each nutrient that you discuss with him.
Your Assignment should be written in an essay format with an introduction and conclusion as well as a title page and reference page. The paper will require you to include details from research including the course materials and sources you locate on your own such as from the KU Library. The paper should be written in APA format including citation of your sources of information, both within parenthetical citations and also within a reference page at the end of the project.
Basic Writing Expectations:
- A minimum of 500 words, not counting the title or reference pages
- At least two academic resources utilized
- Include a title page, double space, font size of 10 or 12
- Include a highly developed viewpoint/thesis, purpose, and exceptional content
- Demonstrate superior organization: use logic
- Free of grammar and spelling errors
- No evidence of plagiarism
- Use the APA style for all in-text citations, references, and essay body