The first discussion of this course focuses on the two major types of facilities–inpatient and outpatient. In addition, you will take a general look at the governing board of a health facility. These items are important in understanding the overall policies, structure, and processes of a health care facility. Answer the following questions:
- What are the main differences between inpatient and outpatient facilities?
- What is the purpose and importance of both?
- Why would one type be used instead of the other?
- What type of changes have there been as related to inpatient and outpatient work, facilities, and processes?
Governing Board: The board of the hospital includes executive staff such as CEO, COO, and the CFO, administrative staff including the Chief Medical Officer, and Clinical department and Medical Researcher heads. Answer the following relating to a governing board of a hospital:
- Explain the role of a governing board. What are some individual roles and responsibilities for the people on the board?
- Identify what you see as positive and negative about a governing board. Why is this so?
You are required to use at least one resource, other than the textbook, to answer the questions above. The resources can be found on the Internet. Here are some suggestions to get you started in your research:
- Use research words and combination of words including hospital, governing board, outpatient, and inpatient.
Once you are done, refer to the Discussion Participation Scoring Guide to make sure you have met the requirements of this discussion.
Read the posts of your peers and respond to two posts. In your response, you may consider the following:
- Do you agree or disagree with your peer on the importance of inpatient versus outpatient facilities? Explain.
- When researching the changes that have occurred in inpatient and outpatient facilities, what additional information did you find that is worth sharing with your peers? What information did your peer gather that you may not have come across in your research?
- In relation to the governing board, what information did you find that your peers did not include in their research? Why is this information important to know and understand?