Refer to the “Social and Cultural Paper Instructions” for a detailed explanation of the requirements for the Social and Cultural Diversity Paper that you will be developing throughout the course.
In preparation for writing this paper, write an outline that contains the following:
- Definition of cultural diversity
- Main body containing the content guidelines provided in “Social and Cultural Paper Writing Instructions”
Social and Cultural Diversity Paper Instructions
The Social and Cultural Diversity Paper (1,500 to 1,700 words) requires the student to identify and reflect on possible personal biases regarding gender, religion, sexual or gender orientation, race, socioeconomic status, disability status, or culture. In addition, a self-care plan is developed for the mental health and wellness provider. The purpose of this paper is to raise the student’s personal and professional level of awareness regarding the subject of diverse populations and how to prevent burnout and compassion fatigue as a mental health and wellness provider.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. Refer to the LopesWrite Technical Support articles for assistance.
The Social and Cultural Diversity Paper assignment will be accomplished in a four-step process, with individual steps submitted and graded regularly throughout the course, according to the following schedule:
1) Outline (Due Topic 4)
2) Annotated Bibliography (Due Topic 5)
3) First Draft (Due Topic 7)
4) Final Paper (Due Topic 8)
When constructing this paper, use a four-part structure according to the following guidelines:
Part 1: Personal Reflection
The first part of the paper requires you to identify information from your own personal history. Use the following questions to help guide your reflections:
1. Identify your personal biases and how those biases may present challenges to you as a mental health professional. Remember, everyone has biases. The point is not to project them onto your clients.
Note: It is preferred you discuss your cultural biases.
2. Describe your personal history by documenting experiences with discrimination you may have experienced and how your cultural background impacted these experiences.
3. Identify memories of contact with those who were culturally different than you, and your experiences associated with these differences. Be specific.
4. How has your life experience affected how you may relate to persons different than you? Be specific.
Part 2: Racism and Discrimination
The second part of the paper requires you to demonstrate an understanding of the concepts of racism/discrimination. Use the following questions to help guide your reflections:
1. Distinguish between stereotypes, prejudice, and discrimination.
2. What does it mean to be a subtle racist? Please include a referenced definition and example.
3. Why could there be significant differences in perceptions and values of members within the same ethnic group? Be specific.
Part 3: Multicultural Competence
The third part of your paper requires you to review and reflect on multicultural competence as a professional. Use the following to help guide your reflection:
1. What did you learn about the importance of cultural sensitivity in providing professional services to clients?
2. How do communication styles differ across cultures?
3. How might strategies to build rapport be differentiated based on culture?
4. What resources could help you to become more informed regarding cultural diversity? Cite resources you can use to dispel your personal biases.
5. Provide an example of cultural bias in counseling/psychological research and support your answer with at least one scholarly reference.
6. How could you apply your learning to your future practice as a mental health and wellness professional?
Part 4: Self-Care for Providers
The fourth part of your paper requires you to develop a self-care plan for the mental health and wellness provider. This is not for the client. Identify four different strategies for providers to use to mitigate burnout and compassion fatigue.
1. Describe the factors associated with burnout and compassion fatigue. What are the symptoms?
1. Describe why it is important to develop a self-care plan before burnout or compassion fatigue occurs.
1. List and describe four different strategies to mitigate burnout or compassion fatigue.
1. Conclude with why you selected the four strategies and how you think they will help you as a professional provider of mental health services.
1. Use two to three resources to justify your descriptions and strategies for self-care.
Purdue Owl Online Writing Lab – Types of Outlines and Samples
Review the website on developing and writing outlines.
Purdue Online Writing Lab – Annotated Bibliographies
Review the resources on the Purdue Online Writing Lab annotated bibliographies website.
© 2016. Grand Canyon University. All Rights Reserved.
© 2018. Grand Canyon University. All Rights Reserved.