https://nursingschoolessays.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/logo1.png 0 0 admin https://nursingschoolessays.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/logo1.png admin2021-03-26 23:13:402023-11-11 12:52:05physical science...hurray
- Name the three kinds of strength used to characterize materials AND give an example of a material that are strong in each of these modes.
- What kinds of bonding occurs in each of the three materials you listed in question #1?
- Explain how atoms can be arranged in such a way to create a permanent magnet.
- Identify 10 objects in your home that use semiconductors. What other kinds of materials with special electrical properties are found in all of these 10 objects?
- Research the status of magnetically levitated trains like the one now operating in China. How does it operate? How fast might it go?
- How does a nuclear reactor work?
- What types of researchers and scientists use carbon-14 radiometric dating? What type of researcher would use the other isotopes such as uranium-238?
- Use the periodic table to identify the element, its atomic number, mass number and electrical charge of the following:
# Protons # Neutrons # Electrons Element Symbol Atomic Number Mass Electrical Charge 1 0 1 8 8 8 17 18 18 36 50 36
- Potassium-40 decays into argon-40 with a half-life of 1.2 billion years. A particular mineral grain is known to have had a million potassium atoms in its crystal structure when it formed. When the grain was ground up, scientists discovered 750,000 atoms of argon-40. When did the grain form? (Hint: Use Figure 12-10 on page 272 to obtain a qualitative estimate).
- What are the half-lives of the following common isotopes: