The point is to demonstrate an understanding about how personality development moves through stages, according to Erikson. When describing Erikson’s theory, in addition to the age range and stages, include the following concepts:
Epigenetic Principle, Syntonic and Dystonic elements, Basic Strengths and Core Pathologiy.
When comparing Freud and Erikson, compare and contrast the 5 stages of Freud’s theory with the 8 stages of Erikson’s theory. See chart in assignment instructions.
After the title page and introduction section, an example of the headings that could be used include the following: Observations and Interviews Erikson’s Stages of Development Freud vs. Erikson Self-Observations Conclusion
Assignment 2: LASA 1: Development Throughout the Lifespan
Erikson and Freud are two of the few theorists who have developed a lifespan approach to development. Freud’s approach to development was psychosexual while Erikson’s was psychosocial. Even though Freud’s theory is better known, Erikson’s theory remains a leading and very much applied model in personality and developmental psychology today.
When considering these two stage-oriented theories, you can directly compare the majority of their stages. These are matched in the following table:
When considering Erikson’s eight stages of development, the way a person moves through each stage directly affects their success in the next stage.
Their personality is being built and shaped with each stage. At each stage, there is a turning point, called a crisis by Erikson, which a person must confront.
- Summarize what you have learned about psychosocial development through these observations/interviews.
- Summarize the trends you see in your observations/interviews regarding psychosocial development.
- How does movement through Erikson’s stages influence personality development? Again, be specific.
- How do Erikson’s stages of development compare to Freud’s stages? How are they similar? How are they different?
- Between these two theories, which one do you feel best explains your own personality development? Justify your answers with specific examples.
Write a 3–4-page paper in Word format. Insert your chart at the end of your paper. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
INCLUDE A REFERENCE LIST, USINGI APA STYLE FORMAT