Topic 2 [articles]: Shrinking Red Knots. Read two of the following three articles about shrinking Red Knots (2)*, (3)*, (4)*, or research additional information on your own. Then, address the following issues:
- (a) Explain how the lifecycle of the Red Knot depends on hatchlings emerging at the same time as the insects hatch.
- (b) What are the long-term ramifications of having a mismatch between the bird hatch and the insect hatch?
- (c) Of the two articles you read, which of them do you feel was most informative? Why?
- Helen Briggs, May 13, 2016, Shrinking bird pays the bill for Arctic warming, http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-36266692
- Joseph Dussault, May 12, 2016, Climate change chould be shrinking these arctic birds, http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2016/0512/Climate-change-could-be-shrinking-these-Arctic-birds