Class, this week we are working on essay two! Let’s try to help each other out. Here are the instructions.
(For the title of your initial post, use the topic you chose from the song. Example: Terror on the Airlines)
Part 1 (Essay 2–Paragraphs)
First (in your initial response), post at least two paragraphs of essay two. You may post any paragraphs you wish, but please tell us which paragraphs they are and also be sure to include your thesis statement at the top of your post if you are not sharing paragraph one. Please put your thesis in bold. Also include at least one citation and one Works Cited entry (with the entire URL–not just the doi).
Part 2 (MLA or Essay Help)
Do you have any questions about MLA usage thus far? Is there anything troubling you about this essay? Do you need help in any specific area? Did you find any aspect of this essay (research, outlining, drafting, etc.) particularly stressful? If so, let us help!
For your student replies, answer some or all of the checklist questions below (enough to reach the required word counts, please). Please do NOT copy and paste the questions into your post, but please do include the numbers, so we will know to which questions you are responding. Answer in complete sentences. An example is below.
4. I do not see a transition word in your topic sentence for paragraph two. Perhaps you could add “furthermore” at the beginning of the sentence.
Here are the questions.
- Is the thesis statement one concise sentence (i.e., a statement, not a question)? Is it the last sentence of the introduction? Does it contain three clear parts? What are the three topics that will be discussed in this essay?
- Does the topic sentence of each paragraph coordinate with the thesis statement and in the correct order (i.e., the same order they are presented in the thesis statement)?
- Do the supporting details of each paragraph support that particular topic sentence? Are there any sentences that do not belong? Why do they not belong?
- Did the author use transitions? Which words are transitions and where are they used? Can you suggest any other transition words that would work well in this essay?
- Did the author use third person only and avoid first and second person? See the Grammar Review if you need examples of each.
- Did the author use contractions (e.g., don’t, can’t, won’t)? If so, where do you see these words? You may suggest a revision, if you wish.
- Did the author write enough words per paragraph (at least 100)? Did the author write approximately 5-7 well developed sentences per paragraph?
- Do you see any misspelled words or other grammatical problems? Use your grammar review handout, a dictionary, or a previously recommended site.
- Did the author use signal phrases and in-text citations within the essay? Example: Critic John Smith indicates that “quote from article” (page number).
- Are the sources listed in alphabetical order and in MLA style on the Works Cited page? Which APUS library search engines were used, and are they listed in italics?(Hint: Sources should be listed in alphabetical order according to the author’s last name. If the author is unknown, alphabetize by the first important word in the title.)
The grading rubric for this forum is attached below. Please understand that no single rubric can cover every issue. Your instructor will adjust the scores on the rubric and elaborate on the categories as needed. (For example, additional points might be deducted if you do not respond to those who have responded to your initial post.) Read your instructor’s comments very carefully for clarification regarding each deduction. Click on “View Full Description” to be sure you have met all other forum requirements.
This week’s initial post will not be submitted through Turnitin since your essay will be submitted through Turnitin under Assignments.