The DBA in the Business World
The DBA has become a powerful tool in the business environment as it looks to go beyond day-to-day business and looks to identify, research, and solve complex business problems. It incorporates an advanced business skill set that is not taught in an MBA program. The DBA fits the needs of a global business environment well. This multidisciplinary degree is applicable across all industries.
Like the PhD, the DBA is a research role. The critical difference is the DBA is a problem solver instead of a knowledge finder. The DBA is, as the name states, a Doctor of Business. The goal of this professional is to diagnose a problem and fix the problem, often through research. The DBA is tasked with identifying problems within a business and coming up with solutions to resolve those problems.
DBAs are well suited for senior and C-level roles. The DBA program provides a skill set that is not a part of an MBA program. The skill set of problem solver, alongside the ability to make a system-wide change, makes the C-level DBA a powerful commodity. DBAs frequently work at think tanks where they have the ability to study problems in depth and propose radical, yet effective solutions. Consultants with a DBA have a broader range of tools that can be used to provide services for other companies.
Insert Interactive Here
Be sure to review this week’s resources carefully. You are expected to apply the information from these resources when you prepare your assignments.
Expand All Collapse All0 %0 of 4 topics completeShow data table for This chart displays the number of completed topics versus the total number of topics within module Week 4..
List of Topics and Sub-Modules for Week 4
- Books and Resources for this Week
- Banerjee, S., & Morley, C. (2013). Professional doctorates in management: Toward a practice-based approach to doctoral education. Academy of…Link
- Kowalski, R. (2017). Future progressive: The need for a professional doctorate – An international doctor of business administration. Acta…Link
- Check Your UnderstandingQuiz As part of this week’s assignment, you will need to complete a Check Your Understanding. Review the materials carefully and submit the required assignment before 11:59 pm Arizona time on Sunday.
- Week 4 – Assignment: Develop a PowerPoint to Explain the Role of the DBA in the Business WorldAssignment Due December 15 at 11:59 PMAssume you are the hiring manager at a company that is having some business struggles. You have been tasked with solving these issues through strategic hiring practices. You would like to share the value of hiring DBAs for key company roles.
Develop a PowerPoint presentation that explains the value of a DBA in your company. Explain what the DBA is and the difference between a DBA and PhD in the workplace.
Length: 7-10 slides. Each slide should have notes of 75-150 words in the notes area.
References: A minimum of 4 peer-reviewed journals/articles.
Your presentation should demonstrate thoughtful consideration of the ideas and concepts presented in the course and provide new thoughts and insights relating directly to this topic. Your response should reflect scholarly writing and current APA standards. Be sure to adhere to Northcentral University’s Academic Integrity Policy.
Upload your document and click the Submit to Dropbox button.