1. Describe Sickle Cell Disease, its prevalence, its incidence and general knowledge of the disease.
2. Discuss the laboratory testing that can be done.
3. Describe if chromosomal analysis is/was indicated and detail the chromosomal change that caused the disease if it is a chromosomal disorder.
4. Describe the disorder in terms of its origin as either a single gene inheritance, or as a complex inheritance and considerations for practice and patient education.
5. Describe the gene mutation of the sickle cell disease, as well as whether it is acquired or inherited, and how the mutation occurs.
6. Examine how genetics can influence policy issues.
7. Discuss any nutritional influences for this disease.
8. Process of nutritional assessment and counseling as it relates to health, prevention, screening, diagnostics, prognostics, selection of treatment, and monitoring of treatment effectiveness.
Include the following:
1. Guidelines and reasons behind the FDA regulations for introducing new pharmaceutical agents (policy).
2. The role that money and grants play in scientific advances/the economics of health care (capitalism).
3. The role and involvement family plays into the health care decision.