Unit 2 Discussion 2
Practice Child Counseling Skills
For this discussion, you are to create a two-page transcript of a hypothetical counseling interaction, including the skills of reflection, paraphrase, and summarization, in order to practice adapting skills and techniques for use with children.
Imagine that you are a counselor creating a transcript from a recent session. When creating your transcript, adhere to the following:
o Choose either a child or an adolescent. You may wish to use the client you created for your background sketch in Unit 1.
o Begin by writing a one- or two-sentence narrative indicating the issue being discussed, such as concerns about schoolwork, sadness about a lost pet, or anger about getting grounded.
o Complete a counseling transcript, using the instructions below.
§ Each comment or question by a counselor must have the skill and counselor purpose or counselor intention clearly identified.
§ Use a range of skills from the list of Universal Counseling Skills, on pages 84–85, in Counseling Children.
Take a few minutes to carefully examine the example of a transcript and transcription instructions below and in the Counseling Transcript Template, linked in Resources. Then, develop your own transcript. Be sure to follow the instructions. Upload your completed transcript to the discussion.
1. Counseling Transcripts should have three columns.
1. The left-most column designates who was speaking—the client or the counselor.
2. The center column depicts what was said.
3. The third column labels the skill that the counselor used and the counselor’s intentions [in brackets].
4. The skill should come from the list of Universal Counseling Skills in Counseling Children, pages 84–85.
5. The intention should apply one of the Purposes listed in the text’s table to the interaction with the client.
2. Each talk turn should be on its own row.
3. You may use the template linked in Resources after deleting the instructions, or create your own form that meets Specifications 1 and 2. Add more rows if necessary.
4. Your transcript should be no more than 2 pages long.
5. Please be sure to cite two sources in this discussion. You may cite them in the third column to indicate what sources you used to identify the universal skills you used.
[purpose and counselor intentions]
I’m glad you could come talk to me. Jess and Harry told me they are worried about you.
Providing information [to give Sari the facts about why she was sent to talk to me].
[says nothing but sits on her hands and looks at her shoes; sighs]
(Gently) Sari, you look like you feel a little sad.
Reflection of feeling [to show awareness of her emotion and her body language].
(Looking up) I guess so.
How long have you been feeling sad?
Closed question [to get more information].
Since my last report card. I think Mr. Gomez hates me.
Oh, so you’re worried that Mr. Gomez doesn’t like you because he gave you a bad grade.
Paraphrase [to give back he message and make sure I got it right].
Yep. (Wiping away a tear.)
Sounds like this caught you by surprise…and it really hurt.
Empathy [to let her know I can “read between the lines” and imagine what is like to be her].
Mmm Hmm. (Looking up.) Now I’m afraid my grades won’t be good enough so I can go out for track.
Sounds like you want me to help out with that.
Defining the problem [I’m guessing what she wants help with].
· Discussion Participation Scoring Guide.
· Counseling Transcript Template.
· Revisiting Basic Counseling Skills With Children.