A cohort study of smoking and bladder cancer was conducted in a small island population. There were a total of 1000 people on the island. Four hundred were smokers and 600 were not. Fifty of the smokers developed bladder cancer. Ten of the non-smokers developed bladder cancer.
- Construct a two by two table using the data given above. Be sure to label the cells and margins.
- Which measure of comparison would you use to describe the relative effect of smoking on the risk of bladder cancer?
- What is the formula for this measure of comparison?
- Calculate this measure of comparison using the given data.
- State the meaning of your answer in one sentence.