In this project you will design an experimental procedure based on Chemical Equilibrium and Le Chatlier’s principle to determine whether a process is endothermic or exothermic. This procedure should be written stepwise with the initials of the student who is performing that step in the procedure. Here is an example:
- Weigh substance- AW (these are the initials of student performing task)
- Get the volume of substance – EE
In designing your experiment, please try to answer the following questions:
- What is LeChatelier’s Principle? How does enthalpy change affect a chemical system at equilibrium?
- How can we know whether a chemical system is endothermic or expthermic by observing its equilibrium shifts?
- The detail of your plan will constitute your experimental design. For example, how can you correctly test wheteher a system is endothermic or exothermic You will need to know how to distinguish reactant and product facvored equilibrium system shifts.
- What equipment and techniques do you need for each measurement? Try to draw the apparatus and experimental set-up.
- Can you envision anything that may go wrong in your design or in conducting your experiment? What are the possible sources of error? What are you going to do if that happens, etc? You may wish to come back to these questions and compare your observations with what you have planned after you have finished your experiment and started writing your report, especially the Discussion section.