During your interview, relate the answers given by a healthcare leader at your organization to the “Ten Concepts for Effective Leadership” on pages 263-266 of Essentials of Strategic Planning in Healthcare (2nd ed.).
Image source: Essentials of Strategic Planning in Healthcare (2nd Ed.), p. 263
- In this assignment, you will interview a leader in your organization, write a summary of the interview, and relate answers to the textbook readings. Complete the readings before you conduct your interview.
- To learn about transformational leadership and how it impacts the strategic planning process and how an organization staffs quality, in Essentials of Strategic Planning in Healthcare (2nd ed.) read:
- Pages 32-41
- Chapter 2: Transformational Leadership Maximizes Strategic Planning
- To learn about the role leadership plays in strategic planning, read pages 263-266 in Essentials of Strategic Planning in Healthcare. Reflect on how these 10 concepts apply to your proposal, especially in getting it accepted by the CEO.
- Contact a person in a position of leadership in your own healthcare setting to schedule an interview.
- Create a list of interview questions related to the leader’s ability to:
- prioritize and triage
- motivate employees
- efficiently run a facility
- think ahead of potential problems and seek solutions
- think “outside the box” and implement change
- Design a few questions related to proposals that will help you gain insight on your final project, such as:
- What are the merits and defects of proposals you have seen come across your desk?
- What makes a proposal award-worthy, one that you accept, fund, and execute?
- What are the main reasons a proposal you review is accepted?
- Can you give an example of a proposal you accepted, and implemented?
- What are the main reasons a proposal you reviewed is denied?
- Conduct the interview using the questions you created.
- Write a summary of the interview. Reflect on the interview answers and discuss how they relate to the Ten Concepts for Effective Leadership on pages 263-266 in Essentials of Strategic Planning in Healthcare and to your other textbook reading for this week.