M3_A2 Organized Crime
Your first LASA is a means for you to demonstrate your knowledge of applicable theories in explaining organized criminal behavior. You will use your knowledge pertaining to the history of organized crime to develop a practical approach to stop the spread of organized crime groups. You will identify and classify the different groups to determine which groups present the greatest threat to public safety. You will select a theory and apply it to explain the existence of organized crime groups.
This LASA is designed for you to demonstrate your knowledge of the organized criminal behavior theory. By assessing the threat to public safety, you will use your knowledge of this history of organized crime as the foundation to develop a practical approach towards reducing the growth of four organized crime groups in Centervale. Selecting a theory that attempts to explain organized criminal behavior will provide a scaffolding for your presentation.
Here’s What You Need to Do . . .
You will assume the role of an Organized Crime Investigator. You have worked as an investigator for 18 years and have a thorough working knowledge of various theories that attempt to explain criminal behavior (no theory explains anything entirely; all theories can be tested, refuted, etc.). Because organized criminal enterprise consistently threatens public safety, your supervisor has tasked you with the responsibility of researching and analyzing four organized crime groups in order to create an Organized Criminal Enterprise Reduction Plan for Centervale. The goal is to create a presentation that includes an overall analysis of four organized crime groups, a comparison of the variables of each group, a selected related criminological/sociological theory that address the existence of organized crime in your area, and a potential plan towards the reduction of the threat to public safety.
- Analyze the history of organized crime.
- Research and select at least one theory that attempts to explain the criminal actions of organized crime groups selected by you. Choose at least one theory that attempts to explain organized criminal behavior.
- Compare and contrast at least four organized crime groups that operate within the United States and analyze their threat potential to public safety.
- Prepare a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation with speaker notes for a group of local, state, and federal law enforcement officers that includes an overall analysis of four organized crime groups, a comparison of the variables of each group, and a potential plan towards the reduction of the threat to public safety.
- Include a cover slide and at least one slide at the end of your presentation to reference your sources formatted in APA style that links back to your in-text citations and supports your recommendations. Remember, you cannot have only in-text citations or only references, you must have both because in-text citations and references are adjoined; they link to each other.
- Save the final presentation as M3_A2_Lastname_Firstname.ppt.
- By the due date assigned, submit your final presentation to the Submissions Area.
LASA 1 Grading Criteria and Rubric
This assignment is worth 200 points. Download this rubric and carefully read it to understand the expectations.
Assignment 2 Grading CriteriaMaximum PointsIncluded and applied the main components of the theory.16Listed and identified at least four organized crime groups operating within the United States of America.32Compared four organized crime groups, pointed out similarities and differences, and identified which groups posed the greatest threat to public safety.32Prepared a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation with speaker notes that include findings, which could be presented to local, state, and federal law enforcement officers.32Provided suggestions for preventing the spread of organized crime in the presentation and included a rationale grounded in history content.24Writing components.64Total:200