You are a professional nurse caring for Mr. R, a 58-year-old patient who recently underwent surgery for colon cancer resulting in a temporary colostomy. Select one of the assigned or unassigned nursing theories from our textbook and address the following:
- How you would provide professional nursing care for Mr. R. using the theory you have selected. Be sure to use terminology from the selected nursing theory to explain your interventions.
- Relate application of legal and/or ethical standards to this case study.
Note: There may be further questions from the instructor later in the week to help build upon your answers to further develop this scenario
Four theories are the focus of this course.
- Systems theory (as cited in Hood, 2014)
- Roy’s adaptation theory (as cited in Hood, 2014)
- Orem’s self-care deficit theory (as cited in Hood, 2014)
- Benner’s novice to expert theory (as cited in Hood, 2014)
As you read about each of these theories, consider how you would apply each one in your own nursing practice.